Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Myths about "Who Owns You?"

In some of the more critical reviews of my book, a particular alleged "error" on my part is repeated, specifically that I claim that sexual reproduction results in patent infringement of genes. I use this as an example ad absurdium, extending the logic of patent law, which gives reproduction rights over tokens of patented types, but I explicitly state that when we reproduce, we are in no danger of literally violating the patent law, here, on page 92: "Although the PTO has claimed that gene patents do not encompass genes in their natural state, they do just that for all intents and purposes. We might feel a bit relieved to know that when we reproduce we aren’t violating anyone’s patent, but any scientist wishing to explore scientifically that gene sequence does so at his or her own risk because it is now legally bounded territory."

Others have criticized it for having a provocative title, because it suggests that I conclude that patents on genes mean that someone "owns" you. I do not so claim, and the title is provocative, but was the same title of a Scientific American story regarding gene patents in March 2002.

In fact, most of the critical claims leveled against the book fall apart when the book is read in its entirety. Some critical reviews repeated the lie that I made an "anti-commons" argument in the book. I do not. My argument is, ultimately, about the nature of the commons, not about utilitarian concerns over the effects of monopolies. What remains unchallenged is my argument about the nature of the "commons by (logical/material) necessity," in which I describe the nature of the scientific commons, which has recently been effectively upheld in the Prometheus decision in the US Supreme Court, and upon which my entire ethical argument against gene patents hinges. Perhaps at the end of the day, sniping about non-issues has failed to deflate the larger issues at stake (though I feared early on that it might), and only serve now to reveal that those early attempts to try to distract the public from the real ethical problem with allowing monopolies over natural products, laws, and phenomena will fail even as justice prevails.

No comments: